Monday, February 3, 2014

Lipsticks: The Red Edit




I was feeling artsy (again) this weekend and wanted to take a different approach to a post about lipsticks. As I'm sure you've already deduced (clever reader) this post is about the reds. These are all the reds in my collection and I thought it would be neat to display them in my sketchbook. It really highlights some of the differences in tone and texture of the products. Let's start in the top left with the sheer, more pink-toned reds. 

Kate UNLOCK Bloody Lacquer RD-1. The sheer red with cool undertones. I featured this in my monthly favourites - video coming soon! - and have been wearing it a lot lately. It's a new release from Kate this month. This red is really easy to wear. It's buildable so you can sport a more subtle lip, or a bold one. The aspect of this that I've been the most impressed by is how moisturizing it is!

Lavshuca Lav Fake 01. The stain/multipurpose red. I wrote a review of this when I first picked it up. You can read it here. It looks really similar in colour to the Kate red, but is more of a stain that a lipstick. It's more long lasting, and less moisturizing. It's really versatile though, since it can be used for lips, cheeks, and eyes.

Rimmel Volume Lipstick in Gold Digger. The red with gold shimmer. This made it into my lipstick challenge back in October, where you can read a full review. 

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Red Lacquer. The sheer bright red with orange undertones. I didn't realize how orange this lipstick was until I put it next to all my other reds. I've talked about my disappointment with this before. It just doesn't last. I still love the colour though!

CoverGirl Natureluxe Gloss Balm. The tinted lip balm. Read my review here. Nice for on the go. It's pretty moisturizing. I would recommend this for people who don't like to wear lipstick.

Canmake Stay-On Balm Rouge. The sheer rosy red. Read my review from September here. These things are great! They're really similar to the Revlon lip butters. One of my students told me I looked like Taylor Swift when I was wearing this a little while ago. Yet another reason to love it. This red has more of a dusty rose tinge to it than any of my other reds. 

Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Ultra Lipstick in Brick. The bold red. This lipstick is a statement piece. It's really pigmented. I think this dark red would be flattering on everyone. It's not for the faint of heart and is sure to make the wearer the center of attention. It looks very similar to Wine with Everything on the page, but Brick has more pink, where the other one has a bit more orange.

Quo Poppy. The rusty red with shimmer and hints of burnt orange. You can't see it in the photo, but this has much more shimmer than the other reds in that corner. The shimmer is finer than in Gold Digger. This red is great for fall, and I recommend it especially for red heads. It really complements my hair and green eyes. This colours has great coverage and pigmentation, and lasting power. 

Top Shop Velvet Lips in Velveteen Ribbon. The liquid lipstick. This is a matte liquid lipstick, with cool undertones. It lasts for days. Seriously, I can't say enough good things about this. I like to use a lip balm before I go in with this, since the formula is a bit drying. 

Bite High Pigment Pencil in Cranberry. The lip crayon. This colour has a little raspberry in it. The coverage is great and it's lasted through dinner and drinks, with only a minor touch up. It also smells great!

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Wine with Everything. The go-to red. This has been the red I reach for on a night out for years. I love the colour. I always get compliments when I wear this. The wear is great, it's not too drying for something so pigmented. This is another colour that I think would look great on anyone. I though I'd lost it when I was putting together all my reds for this post, and had a mini panic attack. I know I have 10 other red lipsticks but I adore this one, and I have so many good memories of nights out with it. Also, the name is perfection! It's like it was made just for me!

That's it! Well done, if you've made it through all those reds. What do you think if this kind of post? Should I do more with corals, or neutrals? Leave me a comment! What's your favourite red lipstick?







No comments:

Post a Comment